22 September 2007

Baltimore to Seattle: Day 7

Wednesday, Jessica (Aorta) was awesome enough to get up early with Fort, Mama Cloudy, and I to head over to the University of Nebraska to go check out the International Quilt Study Center. We had a bit of a hard time finding it, but I’ve always had a hard time navigating campuses.

We finally found it though and Mama Cloudy got to have a good bit of fun with the volunteer guide. They discussed all sorts of fun quilty world stuff. Since Mama Cloudy had studied for a stint at the University she told us about the AMAZING ice cream that is made and sold on campus. I guess its needless to say that we had ice cream for breakfast that morning.

While we were waiting for them to open for the day (yes, we were there that early), Jessica and I went around to check out the displays littered around the room. One case was filled with what appeared to be various Nebraska food companies. We came across one product in there that was like a steak rub brand called Fat Boy and the name of the product was Butt Rub!!!!! I guess I’m a little juvenile… well I guess I’m not even that yet.. ha!

After leaving Lincoln we headed out to Alliance, Nebraska to go visit Carhenge! Which in Stonehenge but made out of cars instead. I love weird stuff like that so I ate it right up! We got a little lost finding it because of a switch in highway names, but still, really amazing!

Then we headed up to South Dakota to go see the one thing that Fort has always wanted to see, Mount Rushmore. We made really great time getting there and arrived soon after nightfall. The hotel that we registered at told us that the lighting of the monument would be taking place in the next few minutes, but we were famished and went to find food. On the way back to the hotel we saw it clear as day when we pulled into the parking lot. Even from a few miles away it was breath taking! Mama Cloudy suggested that we drive closer for a better night shot that we could send back to the other Cloudies. The closer we got the more awe inspiring it was. I couldn’t believe that we were actually there and that man had actually created that in nature. Absolutely amazing!








1 comment:

SJ Stone said...

Carhenge???? That is brilliant and absolutely pathetic at the same time. Leave it to Americans to turn trash into anything. haha Thanks for adding me on Myspace. I'll be back to writing there soon.