03 August 2007

A little Fetus in a giant world

I like to think of myself as a mover and a shaker. Why sit in one spot for too long? Well, this next string of adventures has taken me to Seattle, Washington. Its a beautiful city with many interesting things to see.
This adventure was supposed to begin Wednesday night, but was slightly delayed by the money hungry corporate Air Lord. I was a good little fetus and arrived at the airport 2 hours before my flight and made it through security fairly easily with only minor problems. I arrived at the gate with plenty of time to spare and sat to wait. With only about 15 minutes left until I was supposed to take off into the skies the keeper of the ticket counter made an announcement. In a shrill frieghtful voice she said "We've overbooked our flight this evening, and are looking for passangers to relinquish their chairs". They waved money under our noses to tempt us to switch. I was not as strong as most and approached the counter to get further details on this money for seat transaction. She offered me the money for future travel.. I do travel a lot, traveling on their dime didn't sound so bad. Then she offered me a First Class chair for the longer, more intense part of my journey.. Being as young as I am in negative years, it sounded very intriguing to ride in the front oh the air beast... She sold me. I arranged to leave the following morning, took my free travel money, and called Mama Cloudy for a ride home.

The next morning came so quickly as I had to be at the airport by 5am to tackle security again and check in for my flight. I took a slightly long way to get to the concourse. I figured that I'd pass through security even easier than the day before since it was so early, so you can imagine how shocked I was when the security line met me halfway down the hall I was walking through, roughly 40 feet from where I had walked into the TSA area the day before.
I headed straight for the ticket counter when I finally arrived at the gate. When I checked in for my flight they gave me a "Seat Request" slip for my supposed first class leg. This put me at great disease as yesterday I had seen people with those slip waiting to be allowed on the plane. I really worried about not being able to board, especially when I had been promised swanky accomedations. When the ticket keeper finally showed up (I'd been waiting there nearly 20 mintues) she rudely informed that I would have to wait until arriving in Cincinnati to be issued a seat. That most certainly did not put my mind at ease, but I felt it best not to argue and went to sit.
Baltimore to Cincinnati was an easy enough flight. Probably, though, because I slept the whole way. We even arrived 10 minutes early, which I really appreciated since I had very little time to make my connection. At the next gate I was able to get my seat assignment quickly much to my relief, but shortly after I picked up my boarding pass they made the announcement that they had oversold, again. I almost, almost went to volunteer again and weighed it out in my little head.. more money.. first class... get there 2 hours later... first class won. I was just too excited about the opportunity, and also at that point I was farily ready to be done with airplanes.
Upon first sitting in my first class seat, I didn't realize what was so special about it. Yes, the chair was bigger. Yes, it was slightly more comfortable. Yes, you can drink for free. But I just couldn't figure out why it cost that much more for those perks. I would come to find out. Not only are they flight attendants super, super attentive (figure that ;P), they asked me several time what I would like to drink, and when asked if I was 21 one, an easy yes was all they needed. I went to reach for my pocket to pull out my id, but she refused. I, also, didn't realized that they do actually give you a hot towel before the flight. I had seen it done in the "Wedding Singer" before, but didn't know it was still in partice. I giggled to myself after she walked away. All the little stuff was great, but I believe that the number one reason I would want to fly first class again would be for the food. O - M - G.
I'm very accustomed to regular airline food, not terrific but mostly likely won't kill you. But this meal they gave me, oh this meal! Pasta with veggies and chicken, salad with ranch, a warm roll with butter, AND a piece of chocolate cake. Chocolate cake! Good cake too, more like a rich, delicious torte. I was extremely full after the pasta and salad, but I was not about to let that cake go. It was by far the best part of the trip.
After a bit I fell asleep and woke up to the ding of the fasten seatbelt sign. I groggily peered out the window to be faced by a giant mountain. We were flying right next to Mount Ranier. It was breath taking. Off in the distance you could also see Mount Saint Helen and Mount Hood.

We landed safely and today I will hit the street of Seattle in search of more adventures, exciting adventures. Stay tuned, there is much more of Seattle we have yet to see!

3 comments:

MewPaperArts said...

Score dude! A little inconvenience paid off for the fetus!

LaurenSmash said...

wow that sounds like so much fun! All I got on the airplane last time I flew was a can of soda :)

Marissa L. Swinghammer said...

It is one of my dreams to have money and first class tickets waved at me like that.

It happened once while I was flying with Jon, but the butthead refused!